Skip to main content


Open Enrollment (School Choice), Jan 13-Feb 14
Posted 12/17/19

The Open Enrollment transfer process for the 2020-2021 school year will take place between Monday, January 13 and Friday, February 14, 2020.  Open Enrollment is the transfer process by which students may request to attend any school in the Hayward Unified School District (HUSD) that has space to accept students who do not live within that school’s boundary.  




Not all schools are projected to have space available to accept students for the 2020-2021 school year through the Open Enrollment transfer process. Spaces may be limited at certain schools and grade levels. A random, unbiased lottery will be used when there are more requests than available spaces at a school.  


Once enrolled through Open Enrollment, students become residents of that school and may remain at that school through the final grade. Below you’ll find some helpful questions and answers about Open Enrollment.


Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What schools are available through Open Enrollment?

A: (Elementary Schools) Bowman, Cherryland (TK & K only), East Avenue, Eden Gardens (TK and K only), Eldridge, Fairview, Faith Ringgold, Glassbrook, Harder, Longwood (TK & K only), Lorin Eden, Palma Ceia (K only), Park, Ruus, Southgate (TK only), Strobridge, Treeview, and Tyrrell (Middle Schools) Bret Harte, Cesar Chavez, Martin Luther King Jr., Ochoa and Winton (High Schools) Hayward High, Mt. Eden, and Tennyson 


Q: Where can I find the Open Enrollment form?

A: Forms may be obtained at any Hayward school, at the Child Welfare and Attendance Office (CWA) at 24823 Soto Rd., Hayward, CA 94544 (Room 31), or by clicking HERE.


Q: My child is currently on an Open Enrollment transfer. How do I know where they will attend once promoted to middle school or high school?

A: Your child is assigned a school based on your home address. If you want your student to attend a different school, you must apply through Open Enrollment. Go to to find the school boundary map. 


Q: Are there other ways to transfer between HUSD schools? 

A: Yes, for special programs or special circumstances, HUSD offers other transfer options outside of Open Enrollment


If you have further questions, please reach out to CWA by calling 510-723-3857 ext. 34207.