Skip To Main Content

Residency Verification

Students are considered a resident of the school district in which the residency of either the parent or legal guardian is located.  Proof of residency is required when enrolling students or when the school has reason to believe that a student’s residency has changed.

A student residing within the district may establish residency by documenting that he/she lives with a parent/legal guardian within the district, that he/she is an emancipated minor living in the district, or that he/she is in the court-appointed care of a licensed foster home, family home, or children’s institution within the district.  Students shall also qualify as district resident if placed by the parent/legal guardian into a home within the district, provided the home is properly licensed or is in the home of a relative as defined by the California Code of Regulations, Title 22 (Education Code 48200-48204). 

In addition, a student may meet residency requirements under the following circumstances:

  1. Is confined to a district area hospital or residential care facility for treatment of a temporary disability
  2. There is an approved inter-district transfer on file based on Parent/legal guardian employment within the district boundaries
  3. Homeless as defined in the Every Student Succeeds Act

Proof of Residency

  • Parent/legal guardian Identification (driver's license or passport - this is for verification only)
  •  Two separate documents in the name of the parent/guardian clearly indicating the address are required to verify residence.  Documents provided must be current; dated the month of enrollment date or previous month.  Reasonable evidence of residency may be established by documentation, including but not limited to any of the following:
    • Utility bills tied to the home
    • Property Tax payment or receipt with parent name and property address
    • Pay stubs
    • Voters Registrations
    • State/Government agency mail (EC 48204.1)
    • Rental  property contract, lease or payment receipts. agreement with parent name and address
  • Housing Questionnaire: If your nighttime residence is not stable (fixed, adequate, or regular), complete the Housing Questionnaire or call the CWA office at (510)723-3857 ex 34207 to schedule and appointment.  

Please click here to find the form in English or Spanish

  • Shared Residency Affidavit:  If you live in a stable long-term shared residence but do not have proof of address in your name, please complete the Shared Residence Affidavit English or Spanish and provide 2 current proofs of address in the name of the primary resident at the time of enrollment. 

Please click here to find the form in English or Spanish

Caregiver Affidavits

Adults who are not the legal guardian of a student (not having court/social services documentation verifying custody or guardianship) meet with CWA staff to discuss and obtain a caregiver affidavit based on F.C.6550.  CWA staff review the students’ status and determine the appropriate enrollment plan. Please call for an appointment at (510) 723.3857 ex 34207