Skip To Main Content

Leaves of Absences

A leave of absence is a period of time an employee takes away from his or her job while still holding their original title of employment from the beginning of the leave to when the leave ends.

A leave of absence might be taken for many reasons, a few of which are:

  • Medical Leave
  • Pregnancy Disability Leave
  • Parental Leave
  • Family Care Leave

Some leaves are mandated by federal or state law and others are outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreements between the labor unions and the district. Below is information on how to utilize available leaves when needed. For more detailed information, please review your Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Request for Leave Forms

How to Utilize Available Leaves

Medical Leave

When you are ill or medically unable to report to work for an extended period of time (5 or more consecutive days). A physician's statement must accompany the Request for Leave form. 

Pregnancy Disability Leave & Parental Leave (AB 2393)

Please refer to the Pregnancy Disability Leave Information Packet for more information.

Parental leave is provided to educators and other public school employees so they can care for their new child.

Many educators will start or add to their families during their careers. As a California public school employee, your rights to pregnancy disability and parental leave are governed by California state and federal law as well as by your collective bargaining agreement. We’ve included some helpful information below.

Child Care Leave (unpaid)

Child care leave may be granted to any employee in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement.

Family Care Leave/Kin Care

To care for a family member with a serious health condition. Must have at least 12 months of service with the District and have worked 1,250 hours before the leave begins. Eligible employees may take up to 12 work weeks. Eligibility is determined by using the rolling 12-month period beginning on the first date of the leave. Read more information about the rolling 12-month period

Military Leave

This leave shall be granted and compensated in accordance with the Military and Veterans Code. Orders must be attached to the Request for Leave form.

Personal Leave (unpaid)

Optional time off for personal reasons. This leave is unpaid and employee is responsible for all medical premiums that are typically deducted from your paycheck. 


Ras Singh
Certificated Employees
Phone: 510-784-2600 ext. 72796

Antoinette Bailey-Nesbitt 
Classified Employees
Phone: (510) 784-2600 ext. 72510