Hayward Unified School District's Food Services Department is dedicated to providing nutritious meals to all students. Our department has implemented changes necessary to achieving that goal. We have eliminated all junk food and all a la carte food at cafeteria sites. We use the Nutrient-Based Menu Planning approach, which provides the opportunity to serve foods that meet the nutritional guidelines set forth by the USDA and appeal to the taste preferences of our students.
We are proud of our accomplishments:
- Homemade pizza - pepperoni, cheese, Hawaiian and garlic-chicken - are just some of the varieties offered daily.
- Grab and Go is the concept we've perfected to limit the time students spend in line.
- Garden bars at all elementary sites have proven successful in increasing the consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables in the diets of even our youngest students.
- Just In Time food service method has been adopted to guarantee food is freshly made just before serving time.
- A variety of fresh fruit is offered daily to Middle and High School students as a part of their lunch.
- White milk is served with all lunches to minimize the sugar intake of our students and help them develop a taste for drinking milk with meals.